Good Nutrition Month chiropractic care

National Nutrition Month and Chiropractic Care

Celebrate National Nutrition Month This November With Healthy Eating Tips


You’ve just emptied the Halloween candy bowl of the last fun-sized candy bar and leftover candy corn, and it’s already time for turkey, stuffing and pumpkin pie. Candy canes, eggnog and Christmas cookies are right around the corner. You want to indulge in the tastes of the season, and the opportunity to reconnect with friends and family around the table, but the holiday season can derail your diet.

Just in time to remind us of healthy eating habits when we need them most, November is National Nutrition Month. With a myriad of food temptations popping up during the holiday season, November is the perfect time to start nutritional counseling. Whether your diet needs a little tweak or a complete overhaul, nutritional counseling can help anyone find ways to enjoy food in a healthy way. Our counseling services are especially helpful for people with special dietary needs or illnesses. The right foods can change your life if you have any of these issues.

  • High blood pressure
  • High cholesterol
  • Heart disease
  • Diabetes
  • Celiac disease
  • Pregnancy
  • Obesity

This year, celebrate National Nutrition Month with these healthy eating tips.

Good Nutrition Tip #1 – Focus on whole foods

With so many food terms getting tossed around, it’s easy to get lost in all the organic, locally grown, non GMO, and free-range options. Here’s the one to remember. Whole foods are simply foods in their most natural, unprocessed state. Processing strips away precious vitamins, minerals and antioxidants while adding yucky things like fat, salt and sugar. Often, processing swaps natural flavors for artificial ones. Fill your plate with whole foods like fresh fruits and vegetables, whole oats, brown rice, quinoa and lean meats. Not only will they taste better, your body will be able to efficiently absorb the nutrients.


Good Nutrition Tip #2 – Drink plenty of water

For most people, water makes up approximately 60% of your body weight, so it makes sense that drinking lots of it is essential to good health. Staying hydrated helps to maintain a normal body temperature, lubricates joints and protects the spinal cord. Even more importantly, water flushes toxins out of the body and transports nutrients to cells. The amount of water you need to drink every day depends on your lifestyle and health, but 9 cups for women and 13 cups for men is a good estimate. For maximum benefits, keep a water bottle with you and sip slowly throughout the day.



Good Nutrition Tip #3 – Limit salt and sugar

A sprinkle in your morning tea or a shake on your veggies might seem ok, but a diet heavy in salt and sugar can increase the risk of diabetes, heart disease, stroke, kidney disease and even cancer. For people that already have these ailments, the risk is even greater. Cut out sugar by substituting local honey or eating fresh fruit to satisfy a craving. Opt for herbs and other seasonings rather than salt.


Good Nutrition Tip #4 – Eat breakfast

During the morning rush, it’s tempting to grab coffee and go, but your body needs more in the morning than just a caffeine fix. Eating breakfast breaks the fasting state of the overnight hours and jump starts your metabolism. This encourages your body to burn calories and helps prevent weight gain. Though you might credit your latte for keeping you alert, eating breakfast wakes you up by stabilizing your blood sugar level, increasing attention span and improving cognitive ability. Make the most of the morning meal with a combination of protein, whole grains, fresh fruit and calcium-rich foods.


Good Nutrition Tip #5 – Follow the 80 / 20 rule

No one can be good all the time. Healthy eating is all about moderation, especially during the holiday season. Following an overly strict diet can wear down motivation until you jump off the wagon. By following the 80 / 20 rule you can have the best of both world by eating well 80% of the time and indulging the other 20%. Make it work by sticking to your diet plan during the week and allowing yourself a reasonable portion of your favorite comfort food on the weekend. Or, satisfy a sweet tooth with a small treat at the end of a healthy meal.


Nutritional Counseling in Troy, Michigan

There is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all diet. Everyone has their own nutritional needs, and their own temptations. If you live in the Troy, Michigan area, visit Advanced Health Chiropractic to schedule an appointment for nutritional counseling. We will look at your lifestyle and goals and guide you in making food choices to optimize your health.